When practicing climbing or bouldering for a few months or even a year, we can notice changes in our bodies. These are usually more visible muscles and less body fat, but is bouldering good for weight loss? Can we effectively lose extra kilograms while climbing? One could say that sport and weight loss go hand in hand, let’s check what it looks like.
So is bouldering good for weight loss and is it a way to lose fat quickly? Bouldering is a rather demanding sport, in which the whole body works, increasing our fitness and condition. So it will be natural to lose weight with increased effort.
Is bouldering good for weight loss?
As bouldering is one of the most popular forms of climbing, both for adults and children, interest in this sport is growing every year. It is quite an unusual sport that is both fun and quite an effort. When it comes to shedding weight, bouldering will pleasantly surprise us here. Regular climbing will firstly help to burn fat tissue, and then sculpt the body and expose muscles.
However, we must remember that an intensive sport such as bouldering leads to the development of muscle mass, especially in the upper body parts. Therefore, with time, the loss of our weight will stop or even increase, as muscles are heavier than fat tissue. Climbing does not exclude other sports, such as running, cardio, strength training, or even yoga, and it is even advisable to practice sports of different types.
Is diet important in bouldering?
The subject of diet is important with any sport, as regular exertion burns calories, but also causes the loss of important vitamins and minerals. As bouldering is a sport that puts quite a strain on the body, it is worth paying attention to several important things on our menu.
An optimal diet for climber influences:
- Improved performance
- Better and faster regeneration
- Maintaining appropriate body weight and a healthy BMI
- Reduces the risk of injury
- Eliminates all types of vitamin deficiencies etc.
As not everyone is a nutrition expert, you can find the necessary information on diet in climbing or bouldering on the Internet, in books, or by going to specialists. It is one thing to create a nutrition plan e.g. a whole month, but the next stage is to follow it. When bouldering, hydration is very important as well as providing the right vitamins, fats, and protein. Here are some important aspects to bear in mind:
- Water is vital for increased sporting activity, and with 2% dehydration, motor characteristics such as endurance, power, and strength suffer. Hydrate your body regularly as adequate hydration helps to reduce joint swelling, reduces inflammation, and speeds up the healing process.
- Protein contains amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle. Eating meals rich in protein and amino acids helps to increase muscle protein synthesis. The right combination of protein intake and strength training is the best way to increase muscle mass in the long term. We get the most protein from lean meats: poultry, fish, seafood, and beef, as well as dairy products and eggs.
- Carbohydrates are essential when training for muscle mass. They provide us with energy, and to increase muscle mass they must make up around 60% of your daily calorie needs. In addition, healthy fats, contained in fish, walnuts, olive oil, nut butter, etc., help to regenerate the joints.
The right diet when training harder is important not only to build better muscle mass but above all to stay healthy. Bouldering is a sport in which rapid fat loss is possible, after which we can work on body sculpting.
Bouldering is good for weight loss but can be primarily for the beginning, as our body needs to get used to the type of sport. In this article, you can read, in turn, why we can stop making progress despite long experience in climbing.
What are ways to lose fat quickly?
There are many ways to lose weight, but here we do not want to describe weight-loss diets, but more habits and activities that can help us in the fight against fat. We already know that bouldering is good for weight loss, mainly at the beginning, when our body will adapt and convert fat tissue into muscle. And here are some other activities worth recommending to speed up your metabolism and fight fat:
- Doing a variety of sports, cardio, as well as strength training, are worthwhile. Different types of sporting activities will allow your body to exercise with equal efficiency, flexibility, and strength. Intervals, i.e. performing several exercises at different intensities, are particularly recommended here.
- Avoid trans fats, which are mainly found in processed products, ready-made cakes, pizzas, and microwave meals. Opt mainly for home cooking, full of vegetables, omega acids, etc.
- Coffee before a workout, caffeine effectively gives us a boost of energy and cranks up our metabolism. This can translate into a more intense workout and more calories burned.
- Use spices, not only for their flavor but also for their digestive benefits. They contain ingredients that stabilize blood sugar levels and also have antioxidant properties that will help you recover faster after a workout. Indicated spices include Cinnamon, mustard, turmeric, dried chili flakes, curry, and ginger.
- Adequate amount of sleep, it is advisable to get about 7-8 hours of sleep, although we know there are exceptions. During sleep, our body regenerates but also burns fat after an active day.
- Avoid sweets, mainly those processed and with a lot of sugar. Do not eat chocolate of any kind (except dark chocolate), bars, jellies, cakes, or chips. Not only are they artificially sweetened and full of preservatives, but they also lead to addiction and are difficult to give up.
Of course, it’s impossible to watch everything at all times, but being aware of certain things gives us a choice. We can make a thoughtful shopping list and try to implement healthy habits.
The truth is that a healthy diet and adequate exercise is a recipe not only for quick fat loss but also for our health. It is also a fact that bouldering is good for weight loss and will be even more effective when we pay attention to what we eat and avoid harmful and worthless foods.
In Summary – Is Bouldering Good For Weight Loss? – (Lose Fat Quickly)
Successful weight loss is not only about diets, which often when poorly composed can do more damage, so it is good not to experiment on your own. Practicing sports is also very effective, and the best results come from varied training. Also, when bouldering, it is advisable to train in other sports such as running, swimming, yoga or Pilates, strength training, and many others.
Bouldering is good for weight loss and can also be very effective because it is quite an intensive sport, in which the whole body works. There are also a lot of ways to lose fat quickly possible and long term, but here it is also important to change bad eating habits.